The Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival, commonly known as Harbin Ice Festival, mainly consist of four theme parks: Harbin Ice and Snow World, Sun Island International Ice and Snow Sculpture Art Expo, Harbin Ice Lantern Show, and Songhua River Ice and Snow Happy Valley. Being a tourist brand name of Harbin, the capital and largest city of Heilongjiang province, People’s Republic of China, the festival draws millions of tourists every winter.
Locations of the Theme Parks
1. Harbin Ice and Snow World Location
West side of Sun Island, Songbei District, Harbin (near Heilongjiang Science and Technology Museum)
2. Ice Lantern Fair Location
The fair is located in Zhaolin Park, at the northern end of Zhaolin Street in Daoli District. The address is No. 74 Friendship Road (Youyi Lu), Daoli District, Harbin
3. Sun Island International Snow Sculpture Are Expo Location
No.3 Jingbei Road, Sun Island Scenic Area, Songbei District, Harbin
4. Songhua River Ice and Snow Happy Valley Location
On Songhua River (near the Flood Control Monument and Tongjiang Street)
Best Time to Visit
The festival officially starts on Jan 5 and ends at Feb. 25 every year. If go to Harbin for the festival, try to avoid the weekends and Chinese New Year if possible.
Things to do
You can find many things to do during Harbin Ice Festival, including watch ice/snow sculptures and buildings, ice lanterns, winter swimming performance, go skiing/snowboarding, dog/horse sledding, ice spinning, and ice sailing, experience ice restaurants and ice bars, or have a safari-style Siberian tigers watching trip etc.
What to wear in Harbin Ice Festival
1. Belt /Pants /Socks /Underwear
2. Sweater/Gloves/Winter Hat/Winter Jacket/ Scarves
3. Silk or other long underpants, t-shirts or camisoles for carrying money and important documents
4. Fanny Pack/Purse /Money Belt /Wallet
5. Security pouch for valuable documents
How to get there
The best way to get to Harbin is by air via some China’s major cities, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjing, Nanjing and Guangzhou.